Thursday 23 September 2010

Day 61 Bolzano to Trento, Monday 20th September. Hazel

69.09km
2:58hours
average 23.1kmph max 38.8kmph
Odometer reads 4777.3km


Where did we wake up? Ah yes the four star hotel.

Breakfast features strudel- I'm terribly excited as I'd been hoping for this since arriving in Germany! But sadly I can't give it my full attention as I have to blog. Whilst I'm tapping away on the computer, recreating a day some days ago, Phillippa flirts with the old men waiters. Much chest puffing out and looks over shoulders but no special favours in coffee or cake unforutnately.

The bikes are released from their conference bedroom, and out under Mr Sunshine we impress ourselves no end by fixing Alice's front derailer. Having spent sometime at breakfast, blogging and now bike maintanance the day is already well into it's midday heat, therefore plans are already made only to get to Trento not Verona as I had hoped (But 200kmish for a midday start is ambitous even for me).

So we continue down Italy's remarkably good cycling network. We whizz along with bravo calls as we zoom. The sun is shinning, the mountains have a blurred dazzle in the UV haze, the orchards are scrumped and it's everything I imagined cycle touring would be. It is flat as a pancake and naturally there are cycle tourists aplenty (Phillipa's terrorising bell ringing overtaking begins again). There are also an extraordinary number of middle aged men in lycra on ridiculously expensive feather light racing bikes traveling some kmph slower than us. Unlike in London when overtaking an "all the gear" would be followed by a desperate huffing and puffing effort from them the Italien's are quite content to be overtaking by regazze.
The flat is also some relief for me after my rather disorientating day of fast descent yesterday when I wasn't sure if I was in fact going up or downhill. This was some variation on normal where much to the girls amusement/annoyance I find it very difficult to discern bewteen incline and flat.

The journey into Trento isn't without hitches as we loose the bike path and find ourseleves in an industrial estate near the motorway. Double back, unable to relocate bike path we nip onto the dual carriage way into town and ecco we are at tourist info. Booked into a two star right on the town square with magnificent views (but no lift, which seems the only factor in differentiating between stars).
Gelato, expresso, pizza. buona notte.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers